2012 Wimbledon Championships: What's At Stake for the Top 8 Men's Seeds?
The results of the third Grand Slam tennis tournament of the year at the 2012 Wimbledon Championships matter in different ways for each of the top eight men. So what’s at stake for each of the players?
• Novak Djokovic – It’s his first time as defending champion, opening play on Centre Court… the Olympics is his stated goal, but winning a second consecutive Wimbledon title would rank high as well
• Rafael Nadal – He’s won the remarkable Roland Garros and Wimbledon double in the past, but winning it again this year will be harder and that much more impressive
• Roger Federer – So close and yet so far… he keeps reaching the semis and quarters, but it’s been a couple years since he snagged a Slam title and this may be his best chance, which adds a bit more pressure
• Andy Murray – The spotlight is always on him at Wimbledon and he’s handled it well in the past, but he’s not arriving flush with confidence this year…
• Jo-Wilfried Tsonga – He’s capable of winning the title or losing early… depends on the day… but it will be interesting to see how he follows up his French Open disappointment where he lost after having multiple match points against Djokovic
• David Ferrer – It’s his worst surface and after his strong French Open, just making his seed would be a good result
• Tomas Berdych – He’s had a solid year and reached the finals before so the question at each Slam is now whether he’s ready to break through and win one
• Janko Tipsarevic – He’s had some good wins on the grass in the past and will be dangerous again this year, but the primary goal will be to make his seeding